alpine flowers at Grey Rock

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weed of the Month




Plantain! Many people work hard to keep this plant out of their lawns. I try to keep one in some corner somewhere that I know about as I use it as a drawing herb when needed. In my experience, a leaf of plantain rubbed or chewed into a poultice and applied to a bee or wasp sting can prevent swelling and subsequent reactions to the sting. The green spot of plantain should be kept on the sting site for at least 15 minutes. If you remove and heat starts to build up, reapply with a new spot. I have used this weed to remove a sliver of glass from my son's foot after digging at it with a sterilized needle and giving up. I put a poultice and a bandaid on the injury and sent him to bed. In the morning, when I took his sock off, the glass was sitting outside of his foot! I have taken leaves in our first aid kit when traveling, I put that much confidence in it. There are two varieties, English broadleaf and the narrow leaf we are more familiar with.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara,

    Good picture of the snake. Glad you had help weeding the garden. Congratulations about the new laundry room floor.

    Now..for my question. I have little tiny aphids all over my herbs in pots on my patio. How do I get rid of the little guys. I want to start clipping and using my herbs.

    ReplyDelete